• Junior Lessard was traded away to Tampa Bay today. He was traded for Dan Jancevski and the first thing I thought when I read about it was, “I thought we already had Jancevski.” For a split second, I thought our new GM team had traded for a player we already owned. I wasn’t too far off — he used to be in the Stars system, but was traded away last season.
I’ve mentioned before that I’m not a huge fan of Lessard’s. I think that if he were showing the coaching staff anything, he’d have stuck with the big club longer. The Stars aren’t afraid of kids anymore, so that wasn’t his issue. Hopefully he’ll do well with Tampa Bay.
• Happy Meals makes the YoungStars “event.” Congratulations to Nisky for that. He’s doing such a great job for such a kid. He doesn’t seem to be tapering off yet, either.
• The YoungStars game/event/thingie will be a little different this year.
The YoungStars will play two six-minute periods of running time. One faceoff will start each period. If the puck leaves the ice, another will get thrown on. If a team scores, the three players have to retreat to their defensive side of center ice before attacking again. For a team to be declared the victor, it will have to win each period.
• I always enjoy the All-Star Game. Sue me. The thing I’m going to enjoy about it most this year is that it means Jokinen and Lehtinen should be back on the ice right after it.
• Zubie should be in for tonight’s game against the Ducks.